Wooden tiles loosen up (fjernvarme)

Hello! I hope is fine that I am writing in english.

We bought a house a year ago, from 2010 heated by fjernvarme (water).
Lately, in some parts of the house the wooden tiles are loosing up, unsticking from the floor.

We don't know why this is happening. When we moved there were just two places with this problem, but now as it gets colder we see every week a new part losing up, which is kinda worrisome.

I have attached a gif showing exactly what is happening when we step on one of these parts, making a "crack" noise: 
https://gifyu.com/image/S9rk7

Questions that we have:
- Can it be because is getting colder and this is what happens when we haven't turned up the heating to be stronger? Does the wood behave differently in different temperatures?
- Is this reversible? We just turned up the heating to be stronger to see if this will make the wood go back to normal.
- If this is not reversible, any idea if the ejerskifteforsikring or the husforsikring cover this?

We are quite worried and would not like to destroy anything.

Feel free to reply in Danish! Thank you everyone.

10 svar
 Følg tråden
Annonce
Annonce
Annonce
If it’s floor heating I would double check the temperature on the water circuit. Many wooden floors doesn’t allow temperatures above 28 degrees celsius.

Locate the floor heating shunt. There should be two gauges/thermostats. One showing the temperature as it enters the shunt/floor, the other the temperature when water returns from the floor.

Make sure it’s not showing a high temperature.

That would be my first step trying to figure out what’s going on.
Looking fine.

The thermostat (white round handle) regulates the temperature entering the floor circuit. The first gauge after the thermostat seems to show 28 degrees, which is the right setup for wooden floors. There’s another gauge showing the temperature when the water comes back from the floor heating which looks like 20 degrees’ish (picture is a bit grainy), which is also perfect, because it shows an 8 degree cooling of the water going through your floor heating.

So as far as I can see? Temperature seems to be fine.

Next step is probably looking into humidity problems?

Another option is incorrect installation of the floor. Wooden floors work like crazy when temperatures fluctuate, especially when floor heating kicks in. Proper installed floors have a buffer between wall and floor to leave room for contraction/expansion. If you leave it out out? Floor will have nowhere to expand except upwards e.g. bulging or pushing a wall.
Regarding humidity, how do you clean the floor?
Perhaps with too much water not being swept away immediately.
Some of it would then, perhaps, go down the cracks between the floor boards, and make them expand.
With the floor heating you have, this should resolve itself over a short period of time.
Humidity in the air could be an explanation as humidity in Denmark normally varies between 65 and 95. Highest during the winter. Humidity inside can go high if regulær ventilation is not assured. Buy a Hygrometer and check.
How about contacting the guys you bought from, is that possible? To hear if they have realized the same issue.

Alle besparelser omregnes til fl. rødvin👍
Henrik and John thanks for your both replies.

Glad to know that is not a temperature issue.
Since the time I wrote this post we made the heating stronger, but we had a warm week here in Copenhagen which made us lower down again because it was getting too warm inside. It did not solve the problem so far. The bulges got a bit higher but it haven't appear in new places.

The house ventilation is not the best, I had a post last year here about a condensation problem we have in a ceiling window. So probably is the humidity inside that are forming the bulges.

I will contact the previous owner again and hear them out. This is something that was not mentioned in the tilstandsrapport and I wonder if we can get the fix covered in case it does not fix over time.

Thanks

Annonce
Make sure to be friendly with the former owner(s), you want their help to resolve an issue.
If it was not obvious at the time of the inspection for ‘tilstandsrapport’ this will be a dead end.
How about an ‘ejerskifteforsikring’ (buyers insurance to cover certain issues), did you sign such one at time of purchase?

Another option is to rent a “fugtmåler” (hygrometer) and measure the moisture in the floor. as far as I know, it should be below 10%.

At around room temperature, the floor humidity should be 1/5 of the air humidity. So very high air humidity (like 80%) could result in too high humidity in the floor (above 10%).
Yes we have ejerskifteforsikring, we will contact them if this does not solve soon.

I will check out a Hygrometer.

Thanks!
Do you know if this hygrometer would be good enough for the task?

Thanks
I think the one you show is as good as any in that price range. Observe that they do not give any accuracy for humidity. But you will be able to follow humidity going up and down. Not sure if the meter compensates the humidity shown for measured temperature. Would expected so since it is also a thermometer.
Would consider also buying a meter to measure humidity in wood though, since this is where the issue is.
They come in two versions, one with two pins going a mm or two into the wood (and therefore leaving a couple of marks), and another one with an inductive technique leaving the surface as it was.
Never had the inductive version since I use it for measuring wood before using it in the wood stove.

Følg tråden
Vil du være med? Log ind for at svare.

Tilmeld dig og få fordele

Deltag i forummet, stil spørgsmål og svar andre

Favoritmarkér spændende indlæg

Færre reklamer, når du er logget ind
...og meget mere

Tilmeld dig gratis