Help with Genvex ventilation (25-30 degrees constantly!)

Hi. I arrived to this forum searching for a solution to my Genvex issue. I moved to an apartment with this system installed with a controller "Optima 251". The landlord doesn't have a clue about the system, he sent a "plumber" that only reset the unit (same thing I did before). So I've been looking to solve this myself.

Currently, room temperature in the apartment keeps showing 25-30 degrees no matter what settings I pick. The apartment faces West, so during the afternoon it gets super hot, but I believe there has to be something wrong with the system since the temperature outside is about 12-15 and inside it keeps measurng circa 26 and sometimes up to 30.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7qkQM48.jpg[/img]

I've already turned all heating functions off, all thermostats are all the way down to the minimum (5). I tried setting supply and exhaust to 100%, supply 100% exhaust 0%, vice-versa, etc. None make a difference. And we are still sweating in here!
19 svar
 Følg tråden
Annonce
Annonce
Annonce
Hi Heatvex and welcome to the forum!  

First and foremost: not an expert here, so beware :)  

My guess is that your Genvex is only for ventilation, not for heating (or cooling for that matter, it is not aircon) so you cannot control the temperature in the apartment with it. it only ventilates and uses a heat exchanger for reclaiming heat. 

Supply: is the air being blown into the apartment
Room: is the temperature where the control panel is located
Fresh air: is the air being sucked in from the outside
Exhaust: is the air being pushed out
Extraction: is the air being sucked out of your apartment

All temperature readings except the “Room” is measured in the ventilation unit.

So it sucks in 15c air, pushes it through the heat exchanger where it meets the warm air from your apartment and gets heated to 21c that is then pushed into your apartment. This does not cool things very much.

Some units have an option for a by-pass, so the fresh air bypasses the heat exchanger, might want to look for that in the menu. To figure out what your unit is capable of you need to find the model of that and not just the control panel (Optima251).

So my guess: it works as intended. With vest facing (maybe big) windows and a modern insulation standard things get hot. I have turned off our heating a month ago and we also struggle with heat. We often reach 30c during summer and I have a by-pass which helps a lot!

Mads

AllTheGear_ButNoIdea skrev den 09-05-2022 10:49:46

Hi Heatvex and welcome to the forum!  

First and foremost: not an expert here, so beware :)  

My guess is that your Genvex is only for ventilation, not for heating (or cooling for that matter, it is not aircon) so you cannot control the temperature in the apartment with it. it only ventilates and uses a heat exchanger for reclaiming heat.

Supply: is the air being blown into the apartment
Room: is the temperature where the control panel is located
Fresh air: is the air being sucked in from the outside
Exhaust: is the air being pushed out
Extraction: is the air being sucked out of your apartment

All temperature readings except the “Room” is measured in the ventilation unit.

So it sucks in 15c air, pushes it through the heat exchanger where it meets the warm air from your apartment and gets heated to 21c that is then pushed into your apartment. This does not cool things very much.

Some units have an option for a by-pass, so the fresh air bypasses the heat exchanger, might want to look for that in the menu. To figure out what your unit is capable of you need to find the model of that and not just the control panel (Optima251).

So my guess: it works as intended. With vest facing (maybe big) windows and a modern insulation standard things get hot. I have turned off our heating a month ago and we also struggle with heat. We often reach 30c during summer and I have a by-pass which helps a lot!

Mads

Hi Mads, thanks for the quick reply. It does have a bypass function, which shows as 100% all the time (since my desired temperature is far, far from those damn hot 25 degrees). As you guessed, the apartment is almost all glass (big mistake #1 for me) and West-facing (mistake #2). At the evening, when the sun hits, this gets like a sauna honestly. Not even having the windows open cools it down.

Now it's 12 degrees outside (went out with a t-shirt and felt coldish), when I get back in, I can tell the difference (that sauna effect), of course to a much lower degree than at the eveining. It leads me to believe there's gotta be something heating the apartment other than the apartment iself and stuff like fridge/computers/our bodies, etc. There's an office downstairs so I'm wondering if that may have something to do.

Anyway, even with bypass 100% on I can barely feel a cool breeze going in. The apartment has 3 rooms + living room (each one with 1 blower) and 2 bathrooms (each with 1 exhaust). I'm leaning towards shutting it down and checking if the filters have actually been cleaned. But other than that, I'm wondering how to see if the bypass is working properly (read some threads here where the mechanism got stuck!).

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I've already ordered better curtains to try to "repel" the sun, and got a fan from amazon (those smaller "table fans" which remote control, etc)
I feel with you, my house has huge glass panes all along the south face and it gets hot! 

Just checked my readings
Room: 24
Outside air: 19 (my inlet is placed on the south facing side of a black roof, my #1 mistake!)
Supply: 21
Extracted:23

Most by-pass are not "perfect" by-pass. they just open up an alternative channel so some of the air still goes through the heat exchanger....

Hope you get this sorted, or else summer is going to be brutal :(

Mads

Damn, not the reply I was expecting :( At least we can always move out... in a year haha

Something is not right if the external exhaust is reading approx 10 °c below the extracted air from the rooms. It should be close to the same temp if bypass or exchange  is working properly, as it is then the hot air from the room extract is being 'prevented' from leaving the unit.
Outside air is cold enough so a lower setting for the supply temp would allow the unit to blow in air at a lower temp setting - but could be felt as a slight cold draft after the sun goes down.

/BOFH 

Giv mig min kop kaffe og et serverrum!

Annonce
BOFH skrev den 09-05-2022 18:34:48

Something is not right if the external exhaust is reading approx 10 °c below the extracted air from the rooms. It should be close to the same temp if bypass or exchange  is working properly, as it is then the hot air from the room extract is being 'prevented' from leaving the unit.
Outside air is cold enough so a lower setting for the supply temp would allow the unit to blow in air at a lower temp setting - but could be felt as a slight cold draft after the sun goes down.

/BOFH 

These are my current settings (yes I've been messing with the level 1-2-3 % and honestly it doesn't seem to change a thing). Any suggestions to try?

The service-panel menu unfortunately does not improve the knowledge about the model of unit and its capabilities. There is some maintenance and service guides (with stuff you can do yourself) available at the genvex website, but which one to choose?

/BOFH 

Giv mig min kop kaffe og et serverrum!

BOFH skrev den 09-05-2022 18:34:48

Something is not right if the external exhaust is reading approx 10 °c below the extracted air from the rooms. It should be close to the same temp if bypass or exchange  is working properly, as it is then the hot air from the room extract is being 'prevented' from leaving the unit.

/BOFH 

Good point BOFH!

That would indicate a very poorly functioning by-pass indeed :)

would be interesting to know the exact model of the genvex unit?

Mads
How to I access the model info? The controller is Genvex 251
Good question... the controller is a generic one that can control a multitude of units, maybe there is info somewhere in the menu. Alternatively you will have to locate the unit itself. wouldn't know how that is done in an apartment setting or whether you even have your own unit or it is a large central one. Sorry....
Der er yderligere 9 indlæg i tråden.
 Følg tråden
Vil du være med? Log ind for at svare.

Tilmeld dig og få fordele

Deltag i forummet, stil spørgsmål og svar andre

Favoritmarkér spændende indlæg

Færre reklamer, når du er logget ind
...og meget mere

Tilmeld dig gratis