Condensation from roof window

Hi everyone.

Sorry I will write it in english cause my danish skills are very poor, please feel free to reply in danish :) 

We have recently moved to a new home. We encountered a condensation problem with the roof window in the bedroom. Mostly at night and in the morning, the water starts to go down through the ceiling down to the walls and sometimes dripping on the floor. We have already woke up two nights with the water dripping on the floor.

We have asked the previous owner if she had this kind of problem before and what we can do to avoid it. We have followed her suggestions to open the windows for a while every morning to let the air in. We have the door of the room open all the time to let the air circulate. 

Even after trying all of these for a couple of days, the problem did not seem to disappear. 
Right now the drips are starting to leave marks on the ceiling and wall, which have been freshly painted, so it is quite frustrating.

We are lost on how to solve this problem. Could this be something related to the heating settings that we changed when we moved in (reduced a bit)? How much would it cost to have a professional fix it? Perhaps the window needs to be replaced? Help!

Thank you very much! :)

12 svar
 Følg tråden
Annonce
Annonce
Annonce
Welcome to LDS!

Is the condensated water only occuring from the surface of the window and dripping from there to the wall/ceiling (it's a bit hard to see if the pictures are showing a "slobing" ceiling or a vertical wall)?

I see two possible problems: 1) The windows is old and not well isolated and/or 2) you have a very high humidity in the room. Have you measured the humidity?

Either way, you might want to invest in some kind of ventilation. For example a single-room (easy) solution like Duka One or a full blown central ventilation unit.

Mvh. AllanE
Best bang for the buck is to replace the Window with a new low energy one. That will dramaticallly change the surface temp of the window and thus its condensation properties.

Untill that is done it might help to get a small electric heater and place it directly under the window. The ones without a fan, so you get a steady rise of heat to the window.

Mvh Troels
Hi everyone, thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

@AlllanE Yes, only occurring from the surface of the window. I have attached a picture of the whole room to give you an idea. Not sure what is considered to be old, but the house and windows are from 2009.
I am thinking is very humid at home, all the side windows have a lot of condensation as well.

@TRRA Placing a heater directly in the window would be impracticable cause the window is in a high ceiling. Do you have any clue how much would cost a window like that to be replaced, including service and the window itself? It's from VELUX this window.

We have followed her suggestions to open the windows for a while every morning to let the air in.

every morning is not enough there should be air through the house 2-3 times a day in at least 10 minutes
Or you may have your fan in the kitchen on 0,5 - 1 hour every day while your windows are open t bit. 

Har nogen samlet det, kan det skilles ad. Samles igen ? ?

m.v.h. Erik
In Scandinavia condensation is a very common issue in the winter, if the house is not properly ventilated.

The way we all avoid this is by fully ventilating the house every morning and evening at least. 3 times a day is even better. 

Also drying clothes in-door is a big no go, and you have to use ventilation when you cook aswell.

Some houses has a central ventilation system that takes care of all this, but i guess that's not the case for you.

Also tryk and keep the window in ventilation mode, on the Velux you can twist the handle one step before it opens, that will keep the room ventilated without the window being open.
That's the setting you should be using at night.

There may also be vents on some of the normal windows, commonly placed in the frame.

You need a few windows to vent all the time, that will normallly take care of the problem.

Elektronikteknikeren
Annonce
hi Twinsen.
What everyone else has said is quite true.

but a possible solution proposal.
if it is a "Velux" window and it is from 2009.
then it may be possible to install VELUX ACTIVE

Intelligent sensors that measure temperature, humidity and CO2 levels in your home and react accordingly.

but what such a system will cost per window. I do not know.
and it must also be connected to your Electrical installation. and that is not always easy if it is not planned before the construction of the house

regards

Med venlig hilsen
Mads Christensen

Tømrer - Låsesmed
"Det jeg ikke når i dag, skal jeg ikke lave om i morgen"
@TRRA Placing a heater directly in the window would be impracticable cause the window is in a high ceiling. Do you have any clue how much would cost a window like that to be replaced, including service and the window itself? It's from VELUX this window.

Placing a heater was a suggestion to avoid more droplets untill you get the window fixed. Along the wall to the right, would help a great deal. 

Anyway, I think 10-15K for replacing the window, except I dont know which kind of roof you have. Is there any fogging inside the glazing?

Mvh Troels
twinsen skrev den 07-12-2021 15:09:56

@AlllanE Yes, only occurring from the surface of the window. I have attached a picture of the whole room to give you an idea. Not sure what is considered to be old, but the house and windows are from 2009.
I am thinking is very humid at home, all the side windows have a lot of condensation as well.

2009 is not an old window and I doubt you will see any improvements by changing the window. You definitely need ventilation. Actually new houses today are required (by law) to have a central ventilation system installed and I'm surprised that your house from 2009 doesn't have that.

As said by others, in a new house like yours, you should always keep (all) your windows in ventilation mode, if they have that feature.

Mvh. AllanE

Thanks everyone for your replies and to be so kind to try to help me.

Since I got the first replies from this post I already started opening more often the windows and I can see that it is helping in having less condensation.

However, one thing that I notice is that I am getting a single drop always in the same place (picture 1). Every time I use a cloth to clean it, it comes back again after a while, in the exact same line. When I tried to dry out the window with a cloth, to my surprise it was dry (picture 2). 

This makes me wonder if there is indeed a puncture or something not well isolated in the window.

TRRA skrev den 08-12-2021 08:29:39
Anyway, I think 10-15K for replacing the window, except I dont know which kind of roof you have. Is there any fogging inside the glazing?

I did not check if there was fogging inside (in between) the two layers of the window, I will check it on the weekend.

Vedhæftede filer:
Der er yderligere 2 indlæg i tråden.
 Følg tråden
Vil du være med? Log ind for at svare.

Relaterede emner

Tilmeld dig og få fordele

Deltag i forummet, stil spørgsmål og svar andre

Favoritmarkér spændende indlæg

Færre reklamer, når du er logget ind
...og meget mere

Tilmeld dig gratis